Here’s a simple 3 ingredient campfire cooking dessert.
This recipe is based on the Mountain Dew Blackberry Cobbler recipe from the Scout’s Outdoor Cookbook. We messed up the grocery list for that recipe and had the wrong pie filling at a camp out, which led to trying various combinations of pie filling, cake mixes, and soda. As it’s name implies, the original used Blackberry pie filling with 12 oz of Mountain Dew, along with a yellow cake mix. Blueberry filling, Mountain Dew, and a yellow cake mix also goes well together. The possibilities are endless. If you change it up, leave a comment below and tell us what you did, and how it turned out.
Dutch Oven Apple Spice Cake Cobbler
A simple dessert with 3 ingredients for you next camping cookout
Servings: 8 people
- 12" Dutch Oven
- 2 21 oz cans Applie pie filling
- 1 box (18 oz) Spice cake mix
- 1 can (12 oz) Cream soda You can also use root beer.
- Spread the 2 cans of pie filling evenly in the bottom of a slightly greased 12" dutch oven
- Sprinkle the dry cake mix over the top of the pie filling. Don’t Stir It! But use a knife of spatula to even it out if necessary.
- Pour the cream soda over the cake mix. Again, don’t stir it. But try to pour it so it’s evenly distributed over the entire cake mix.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes using around 7 coals under the Dutch oven, and 16 on top. You may need more coals with some Dutch ovens.
- If you are cooking over wood coals, just have more heat on the lid than under the oven, and keep an eye on it because it may cook faster.
- It’s done when the top starts to brown a little.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Join our mailing list to receive our newsletter, containing the latest updates at Must Go Camping, and the latest deals From our partners.